Developed in 1986 by Donald Nuss, MD, the Nuss procedure revolutionized the correction of pectus excavatum by offering a minimally invasive solution to a previously invasive surgical procedure.
The benefits of the Nuss procedure compared to invasive procedures include:
• Considerably shorter surgery (about one hour compared to 4 hours).
• No anterior chest walls incisions are required.
• No elevation required of the pectoralis muscle flaps
• No incision of costal cartilage required
• No sternal osteotomy required
• Blood loss is minimal
• Length of stay is dramatically reduced (to about 4-6 days)
• Full recovery is quite rapid when compared to traditional techniques
The physicians of Pediatric Surgical Associates, Ltd have considerable expertise in the Nuss surgical procedure and are recognized as leaders in this innovative surgical technique.
For more information concerning this life changing procedure, please give our office a call at (612) 813-8000.